Thursday 15 August 2013

There is an "I" in Ironman

On August 2, I posted on FB that IM Florida was only three months away...three months...WTF?  Where has the time gone?  When I started this journey in April, November 2 seemed a lifetime away.  Now with Peak Phase quickly approaching, I am having moments of hyperventilation.

But only moments.  I know that if I follow my training program, stay healthy (as much as a klutz like me can - face plant into the dining room table corner) and focus on the positives, I will complete my Ironman race.  Now it's a matter of how well I can do.

July was a good, solid month of training.  As my last post attested to, I conquered the Steeles Avenue hill (now more than once) and had some awesome runs.  My swim is my swim - my challenge - but I am so much more comfortable and confident in the water, that completing the 4k swim is definitely doable.

Training Review - 811.68k / 73:14 hours / 58 workouts

I refer to my Ironman training as a journey.  At Christmas, my coach bought me a Pandora charm named "Journey" to symbolize what I was going to embark upon in 2013.  She said that she wanted me to enjoy not only the IM race, but the journey that will lead me there.

This journey is definitely one of discovery - self-discovery really.  I am finding out just how much I can push the human body and human spirit.  What, if any, are my limitations?  When I reach those limits, how can I go beyond them?  How much can I accomplish (in my IM and non-IM life) while being tired...sometimes dog tired.  How much do I really want this...and what am I willing to do to get it?  How long can I swim in sub 60 degree Lake Ontario waters before I tap out?

What I am coming to realize is that while I have a fab team of supporters who have been with me every step of the way in this four year odyssey (and whom I love with all my heart) - this is about me. 

It is finding a strong sense of self-reliance and knowing down deep in my gut that I can do this and I deserve this.

It is knowing that things change, situations change and being able to adapt to these changes and make the right choices for me (not anyone else). 

It is knowing that I can't control everything - all I can control is what I do and how I react to situations.

It is accepting that it's okay not to be perfect and every workout won't be stellar.

It is taking pride in how far I have come and having faith in how far I can go.

I am still learning on this journey, but they are lessons that will be with me for the rest of my life and hopefully will make be a better person in the end.

Yes, there is an "I" in Ironman and for good reason - on November 2, I am going to be the one crossing the Ironman finish line and I will have gotten myself there.

5 comments:

  1. So very proud of you, Kerry. I still can't get my head around all the training you are doing, knowing how much work went into preparing for just a marathon. You beyond Rock and I am humbled by your commitment. I love you, support you and am blessed to count you as a friend. I'd tell you to be strong, but I don't need to, cause you already are. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - you make me teary eyed! It is with friends and family like you that I have the strength to do this - love you to bits! xxx

      Delete
  2. Awesome, Kerry! This is about you and your journey and the commitment and dedication that you've shown since day one to achieving your goal. Can't wait to see you at the finish line!

    ReplyDelete